House dust mite allergen reduction
Aims to reduce the amount of mite allergens in the house
Major strategies (WHO Strength of Recommendation A)
- Wash bedding regularly (every 1 — 2 weeks) at 55-600 C, if possible, to kill mites: (washing with cold water removes 90% of mite allergens; washing at 55-600 C ki//s mites)
- Wash pillows and duvets in hot water (55-600 C) and encase pillows and mattresses with protective coverings that have a pore size of 6 micron or less.
- Sufficient ventilation of dwellings to decrease humidity; aim to reduce indoor relative humidity to below 50% and avoid damp housing conditions.
- Use a good quality vacuum cleaner (if possible, one fitted with HEPA filter)
- Use a damp duster when dusting and cleaning surfaces
- Replace wall to wait carpets with linoleum or wooden floors which can be wiped clean
- Remove/reduce curtains and soft furnishings in the bedroom
- Replace fabric-covered seating with leather or vinyl
- Remove soft toys from the bedroom; wash them at 55-600 C or freeze them (in a kitchen deep-freezer) to kill house dust mites
- Exposure of mattresses, rugs and carpets to direct strong sunlight (for more than 3 hours) kills mites and can be used in appropriate regions.
Provides mechanical barriers to pollen contact
- Keep windows closed at peak pollen times.
- Wear glasses or sunglasses to help prevent pollens entering the eyes
- Consider wearing a mask over nose and mouth to prevent inhalation of pollens at peak time
- Use air-conditioning where possible
- Install car pollen filters where possible
Pet allergen avoidance
Reduces the amount of pet allergen indoors
- If possible, find another home for the pet, and do not introduce new animals into the home. If the pet is not removed from the home, these measures may be helpful;
- Exclude pets from bedrooms and if possible keep pets outdoors
- Vacuum carpets, mattresses and upholstery regularly.
- Change clothes before going to school/work if you have had contact with any animal (for example, horse/cat/dog)
Cockroach allergen avoidance
Removes the cockroaches, eliminates the places and conditions in which they can live, and removes allergens
- Eradicate cockroaches with appropriate insecticide bait
- Seal cracks in floors and ceilings
- Enclose ali fauci
- Do not store waste in the home
- Scrub floors with water and detergent to remove allergens
Mould allergen avoidance
Prevents mould from growing, and mould spores from becoming airborne during mould removal
- Use dehumidifiers in the home if relative humidity is constantly high (above 50%) Ensure heating, ventilation or air-conditioning systems are properly maintained
- Use 5% ammonia solution to remove mould from bathrooms and other contaminated surfaces
- Replace carpets with hard flooring; replace wallpaper with paint
- Repair indoor water damage immediately
Recommended purchase: HEPA filter air purifier